Thursday, April 12, 2007

Imus, Shame, Shame: Stringer, Standing O



Glad this man is gone. Thanks CBS. He will DEFINITELY NOT be receiving an invitation to join us for our 36 in 36 tour. -A

M has secretly liked IMUS in the past. She is now sitting on the fence about him, because she is mildly incensed by his comments. Question #1: Which word do you think was more inflammatory 36 in 36 fans- the word referring to unkempt hair or the word referring to the young ladies personal character? (Remember, students may be reading so answer with tact.)
*
Mostly, I feel for C. Vivian Stringer, coach of the Rutger's women's team. In my viewing of women's basketball over time, she truly stands out as a woman of character who wants to develop character (click to listen to interview with PBS Tavis Smiley) in her players. This past season she took a team that started with a 5-5 record at the beginning of the year to a competitor in the national championship game.
*
In December she told her players that if they weren't playing like Rutgers athletes, they would no get the rewards of Rutgers athletes and took away their locker-room privileges, laundry services, and any other perks they received until she began seeing them play with drive and desire. She doesn't seem to be the kind of woman who puts up with anything other than her athletes best.
*
I must admit that I myself have referred to specific athletes in uncomplimentary ways. I do not know these players personally, only through their actions on the court. It is probably unfair for me to use any uncomplimentary language referring to the character of a person unless I have had specific dealings with the person. So for all of you out there waiting for apologies from me, here it goes: I will no longer make character judgements based solely on a persons athletic endeavors (I do reserve the right to comment on unfair play or underhanded actions viewed on the court).
*
Imus, I am down with freedom of speech and press and disappointed that you chose to insult a the players in a program that has been built by such a classy woman when there are so many other worthy candidates for your scorn out there.
*
Quote from Stringer's statement to the press after said incident: "Should we not, as adults, send a message of encouragement to young people to aspire to the highest levels as my team did this season?" M and A say yes! Men's tennis here we come with our message of encouragement.




3 comments:

Malissa said...

i don't enjoy the word "nappy", but really don't enjoy the character slur that ensued after the word nappy.
Imus - you need a check-up from the neck-up.
(p.s. - i reserve the right to comment on fans' choices of clothing at sporting events)

ARGH...It's Drivin' Me Nuts said...

I think Imus got screwed and the whole thing is blown out of proportion.

I think his firing has nothing to do with his employers doing the right thing.

I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are thugs.

I find it funny that The Iman felt comfortable calling anyone "Nappy headed" when you check out his do!

And I still like dragons.

Click over to "argh its drivin' me nuts" for my take.

Anonymous said...

Well said! Old Dad is proud of you! In my opinion, there is a fine line at the edge of "decency" and Imus crossed it. As with everyone, we may have done good things for many years but when/if we cross that line, we bear the consquences. It's much easier to slam the bad things than it is to be publically positive about the good things that happen. Imus has done many good things for lots of people but in my opinion, this time he went too far. I, too, may disagree with looks, actions, etc. of others but will choose my arena for comments very carefully.